Listen below, subscribe/listen on iTunes (the newest episode is updated in the app, even if not on the site yet), subscribe to our RSS feed, search for “Unabashed Book Snobbery” in any podcast app, or download an MP3 of this episode here (go to ‘show all’).
The salterello performance for this episode is “Saltarello, Lamento di Tristano, Dulab, La Rotta”—Medieval meets Irak, Klangwelten II p.2.
- 0:00 – Introduction & which character is the most screwed over?
- 9:45 – How would you have done R+L=J?
- 15:25 – GoT’s Season 7 reception & fandom dialogue
- 25:15 – Karen Smith sends an ask & Sam/Bran in S7 ft. MissWorm!
- 31:15 – What the hell was Winterhell, Lena Heady, Book!Cersei, and Theon
- 43:00 – The idiotic truce and poor Cheryl!
- 53:50 – Character arcs, Tyrion’s romantic feelings for Deadpan, Bronn’s romantic feelings for Larry
- 59:20 – “Aegon”, most disappointing meme, Robert’s Rebellion’s depiction
- 1:07:05 – Dragonstone, the Cherry bomb
- 1:11:55 – Incest, Brienne fucks loyalty, Randyll’s words of wisdom, and parenthood
- 1:19:10 – Closing & final thoughts
- List of all UBS episodes
- Book Snob Glossary
- Sam’s S7 Arc – a video
- The Season 6 Carol Awards
- This Lousy Game of Thrones Episode was Par for the Course
- A Null Plot – analysis of The Citadel by Turtle
- 7×07 Dragon and the Wolf UBS review
- The Ironboors are made of Salt and Snores
- Sam and his Gal Attend Horn Faire
- Game of Thrones Sexism & Season 7
- Cheryl’s Landing Part 2: The Implications
Re-thinking Femininity in Film
Jeremiah and Thad re-examine stereotypically masculine and feminine traits as portrayed in media. Movies discussed include Johnny Guitar, Thor: Ragnarok, and more. Spoiler alert: Valkyrie might possibly be the new Ultra Critic favorite.
Ladies First Talks About Our Favorite Ships
It was a close one. We battled internet issues, finicky software, and the backdrop of Los Angeles and a neighborhood wanting to get their Selena on (we don’t blame them!) to bring you this episode. With Elizabeth on vacation, Kori is joined by Shahar this episode as discussion ranges from the need for a queer Hallmark channel, the recently released Carmilla movie, to favorite interracial wlw relationships. Tune in to see which ships made the cut, and why Kori is so excited for Black Lightning to premiere.
Let’s Generalize about Good Writing on The Fandomentalist
Gretchen, Julia, and Kylie catch up on the distressing Hollywood news, gush about Crazy Ex Girlfriend, break down the economics of politics, and close off with some fallacies regarding good writing seen in the dreaded Discourse™.
- 0:00 – Intro and fandom news 11/6/17
- 23:00 – Rebecca Bunch is important
- 35:00 – Star Wars prequels vs. GoT, political complexity boogaloo
- 59:30 – Some “good writing” fallacies
- One Adaptation to Ruin Them All
- Cheryl’s Landing Part 1: Speeches and Boom
- Carol’s Landing, a Retrospective
- Top 10 Political Scenes in the Star Wars Franchise
- Game of Thrones is Still Sexist: don’t all gasp at once
- Buckle Yer Swashes for Queer Lady Pirates in the Abyss Duology
- Westworld is Dark & Edgy’s Last Stand