Fair for Everyone Advertising Policy
We make a portion of our operating budget through online advertising – which makes this site free for you to use. We’re not trying to pull a fast one or rip you off, but we do need to pay for the operating costs on this site, so we’ve adopted an advertising policy that works best for us and for you. If you have any questions, please contact us.
1) We will not sell your personal details onto a third party – advertisers on our site may have access to your behavior via cookies, but not your data.
2) We place ads based on where they perform best – if a page happens to sell lots of computer games, we will advertise more computer games on that page. That’s reasonable right?
3) We will not use behavioral targeting unreasonably – if you go to a site about watches we will assume you are interested in watches. It’s not a sinister action, it just makes sense. You don’t have to buy the watches any more than you have to buy anything else! We won’t behaviourally target anything that might embarrass you, and you always have the option to opt out.
4) We request that you don’t use ad blockers – contrary to popular belief we do sometimes get paid for you just seeing advertising without you clicking or buying anything. If you like our site, please don’t block our ads – it’s an easy way for you to pay us for using it without it costing you anything.
5) We run more ads than it is reasonable to keep track of, therefore if you have a complaint about an ad for any reason, please get in touch with us and let us know and we will do what we can about it – it’s not in our interests to displease our users*
6) We do not allow auto-initiated sound – that means ads are not allowed to have the sound switched on when the page loads. If you see an ad which does this, please let us know and we will hunt it down and switch it off as soon as possible*
7) We do not allow ads which make you download anything (especially viruses!), or which break the site in any way. If you see an ad which does this, please let us know and we will hunt it down and switch it off as soon as possible*.
Note: Some of the items we review we include a purchase link for. If the link is to an Amazon purchase, we have included affiliate links on such items. These links do not cost you anything if you do end up purchasing the item, but we do get a small amount from Amazon for directing you there.
We’re not trying to trick you into buying things you don’t want or need, we’re just making you aware of the dynamic you are already involved in so that you can consciously take part. Advertising has been rightly and wrongly demonized over the years, but it’s part of keeping the internet free, so working together we hope we can make it a more reasonable payment system for everyone.