Julia, Kylie, and Gretchen sit down with Leah from TGIFemslash to chat about the upcoming season of Supergirl (is there hope?) and the interesting penchant for subtext over explicit queer ships within some areas of fandom.
- 0:00 – Introduction & fandom news 9/10/17
- 17:00 – Supergirl‘s past and future
- 44:35 – Subtext vs. sub-par text with queer ships
- Leia’s Journey to Heir of Alderaan and Rebel Leader
- Ladies First Interviews TGIF/F
- Aladdin and the 40 Issues of Casting
- Mon-El is Supergirl’s Kryptonite
- Supergirl’s Sophomore Slump
- Supergirl Introduces Korrasami 2.0, but is it Brave Enough to Also Deliver?
- To Kill a Lesbian
- About that D.E…Oh No
Re-thinking Femininity in Film
Jeremiah and Thad re-examine stereotypically masculine and feminine traits as portrayed in media. Movies discussed include Johnny Guitar, Thor: Ragnarok, and more. Spoiler alert: Valkyrie might possibly be the new Ultra Critic favorite.
Ladies First Talks About Our Favorite Ships
It was a close one. We battled internet issues, finicky software, and the backdrop of Los Angeles and a neighborhood wanting to get their Selena on (we don’t blame them!) to bring you this episode. With Elizabeth on vacation, Kori is joined by Shahar this episode as discussion ranges from the need for a queer Hallmark channel, the recently released Carmilla movie, to favorite interracial wlw relationships. Tune in to see which ships made the cut, and why Kori is so excited for Black Lightning to premiere.
Let’s Generalize about Good Writing on The Fandomentalist
Gretchen, Julia, and Kylie catch up on the distressing Hollywood news, gush about Crazy Ex Girlfriend, break down the economics of politics, and close off with some fallacies regarding good writing seen in the dreaded Discourse™.
- 0:00 – Intro and fandom news 11/6/17
- 23:00 – Rebecca Bunch is important
- 35:00 – Star Wars prequels vs. GoT, political complexity boogaloo
- 59:30 – Some “good writing” fallacies
- One Adaptation to Ruin Them All
- Cheryl’s Landing Part 1: Speeches and Boom
- Carol’s Landing, a Retrospective
- Top 10 Political Scenes in the Star Wars Franchise
- Game of Thrones is Still Sexist: don’t all gasp at once
- Buckle Yer Swashes for Queer Lady Pirates in the Abyss Duology
- Westworld is Dark & Edgy’s Last Stand