Free League Publishing today announced the expansion The Lost Mountain Saga for the ENNIE-awarded Vaesen – Nordic Horror Roleplaying. The Lost Mountain Saga is an epic campaign of five mysteries, where you will explore ancient myths and old Nordic folk tales, get entangled in social intrigue, and encounter unspeakable horrors in every shadow as you travel across the Mythic North, striving to uncover the truth.
The expansion is written by actor and podcaster Ellinor DiLorenzo and is based on the adventures from her original podcast The Lost Mountain Saga, but expanded and modified for the official release. The hardcover book is beautifully illustrated by the acclaimed artists Johan Egerkrans and Anton Vitus. A pre-order has been launched today in the Free League webshop that gives immediate access to the PDF ahead of the release later this year.
“As a Swede living in the United States who mostly plays with Americans, The Lost Mountain Saga was a way for me to bring everything that excites me about my own culture and customs to the table,” said game creator Ellinor DiLorenzo. “From the sacred ritual of Swedish fika, to the often-romanticized Viking heritage, to some of our questionable political movements and of course, the terrifying creatures that used to haunt my dreams when I was a kid.
“At the end of the day, The Lost Mountain Saga is a love letter to my home country Sweden, celebrating both the good and the bad, and a way for me to express my homesickness by sharing it with others. It’s suitable for anyone who likes their horror with an occasional laugh, non-Swedes, and Swedes alike.”
Vaesen: The Lost Mountain Saga includes:
- Chapter 1: DUTY AND DESPAIR — Mysterious accidents plague the Swedish mining town of Falun, and a pious man takes it upon himself to get to the bottom of the problem – which he is convinced is the result of moral depravity and witchcraft. But something far more wicked is luring in the dark caverns.
- Chapter 2: THE BEGINNING OF THE FALL — The University of Upsala is hosting an exclusive ball rumored to reveal something that will shake the scientific community to its core. But in the midst of all the excitement, there are alarming reports that the Asylum is getting overcrowded due to an unexplained uptick in admitted patients.
- Chapter 3: WHERE THE SUN DIES — An island off the coast of northern Norway is in distress, and all previous rescue attempts have failed. As winter approaches, the authorities hire a team of experts to discover the truth. What follows is one of the most dangerous missions the Society has ever embarked upon.
- Chapter 4: THE PRINCE & THE WITCH — The ancient spring celebration of Valborg is close, eager to enchant those who participate. But within the rich history of the surrounding forests of the celebration, secrets are waiting to be uncovered.
- Chapter 5: THE LOST MOUNTAIN SAGA — An ancient stone has been discovered in the dark caves of the Abisko region in the north of Sweden. Protected for thousands of years by creatures no longer walking this earth, these sacred stones were never meant to be found. However, as is the nature of human curiosity and greed, exploitation soon begins with little regard for potential risks or consequences.
Images via Free League Publishing
Have strong thoughts about this piece you need to share? Or maybe there’s something else on your mind you’re wanting to talk about with fellow Fandomentals? Head on over to our Community server to join in the conversation!