In the second episode of Cinematic Release, Jeremiah poaches Elizabeth and Kori from Ladies First to talk about Hollywood’s long-standing tradition of recycling material. They touch on four of the most recent examples at the box office: Going in Style, Ghost in the Shell, Power Rangers, and Beauty and the Beast.
Looking back can keep us from moving forward
Thad and Jeremiah discuss how nostalgia can be used as a crutch and stunt artistic and narrative impulses. They also discuss the myth of a monoculture as they try and differentiate between personal and cultural nostalgia.
Ch-Ch-Cherry Bomb Podcast Part 2
Listen below, subscribe/listen on iTunes (the newest episode is updated in the app, even if not on the site yet), subscribe to our RSS feed, search for “Unabashed Book Snobbery” in any podcast app, or download an MP3 of this episode here (go to ‘show all’).
This episode’s saltarello is the girl next door.
- 0:00 – Intro & fandom nicknames
- 11:15 – 7×07 Recap “The Dragon and the Wolf”
- 41:15 – Outside the Episodes
- 51:00 – Cheryl and Larry’s relationship
- 1:08:15 – The Cheryl that was promised?
- Cherry Bomb written retrospective part 1, part 2
- All UBS Podcast episodes
- Book Snob Glossary
- Julia’s Definitive Ranking of GoT Season Topping Climaxes
- Round the Riverblands S6 retrospective
- Cheryl’s Landing S6 retrospective
- Horn Faire S6 retrospective
Hollywood Culture and the Weinstein Problem
Jeremiah and Thad discuss the film industry, Weinstein, and how a culture of hiding abuse allowed stories like this to be swept under the rug for decades.
L.A. Weekly/April Wolfe: