Julia, Kylie, Caroline, and Gretchen name their dragons, define antagonists, and wonder if they’re secure in trusting House of the Dragon as they discuss the first season in full.
Listen below, subscribe/listen on iTunes (the newest episode is updated in the app, even if not on the site yet), subscribe to our RSS feed, search for “Unabashed Book Snobbery” in any podcast app, or download an MP3 of the episode here (go to ‘show all’).
The intro & outro saltarello is performed by Stary Olsa from their album “Liepšaje (The Best)”, which is available for purchase on Bandcamp.
- 0:00 – Intro
- 3:15 – The adjective game & fandom engagement
- 18:45 – HOTD tops itself/the ending
- 25:20 – Missteps, favorites, and Matt Daemon
- 29:40 – Avoid and evade, typical airbender tactics
- 39:20 – Season structure
- 51:30 – What’s an antagonist?
- 1:02:00 – Liberatory violence
- 1:09:20 – Babes and MMD
- 1:22:30 – The dagger of it all
- 1:32:45 – Are we getting duped again?
- 1:45:45 – Season 2 hopes and dreams
- 1:56:20 – The Aemond of it all
- 2:05:20 – Name your dragon!
- All UBS Podcast episodes
- Top 7 Takeaways from Fire and Blood (spoilers for Fire & Blood)
- House of the Dragon Failed Alicent Hightower (spoilers for HotD)
- House of the Dragon Is Winning This Thrones Hater Over (spoilers through 1×04)
- House of the Dragon is Actually a Compelling Story about Westeros (spoilers through 1×05)
- The Tragic Dance of Power and Patriarchy (spoilers for HotD)
- Game of Thrones retrospective series
- GoT Season 8 articles
- ‘The Wars to Come’ GoT Rewatch Project
- The Last of Us Disappoints Just Like the Game (Caroline’s latest piece on TLoU)
- A Song of Pins and Needles (Caroline’s wardrobe analysis)
- Supernatural: End of the Road (Caroline’s Supernatural coverage)
Have strong thoughts about this piece you need to share? Or maybe there’s something else on your mind you’re wanting to talk about with fellow Fandomentals? Head on over to our Community server to join in the conversation!