Taylor and Kori welcome back activist Wendy Curry and discuss the origins of Celebrate Bisexuality day (on September 23), and encourage all of you to tell us how you’ll be celebrating on twitter with the hashtag #celebratebisexuality
Celebrate Bisexuality Day:
- curriedspam. “What’s in a name?” LiveJournal (2007)
- Hyde, Sue. “Celebrating Bisexuality Day 2008: Bisexual Leaders We Salute.” National Gay and Lesbian Task Force (2008).
- Oboza, Br. Michael C. “Our Fence with Wendy Curry.” Chicago Bi Newsletter (2013).
- “Pride is an outward act – letting the world know we were not ashamed of who we were. CBD was meant to be an inward act. Getting our community together to celebrate who were we [sic] and how privileged we were to be who we are.”
- Simonette, Matt. “Activists gather to celebrate bisexuality.” Windy City Times (2013).
- Staff Reports. “Bisexuality Day Celebrated.” Long Beach Post (2008).
- Wang, Alexandra. “Gigi Raven Wilbur: Advice on Bisexuality.” Bi Women Quarterly (2019)
- Anything That Moves Archive
- Report: 19th ILGA World Conference – Johannesburg. “Building Partnerships for Equality.” (1999) PDF download link.
- ILGA timeline 1
- ILGA timeline 2
Pre-CBD Bisexual Pride Days:
- BiNet USA. “First U.S. Bisexual Pride Day Held In 1990.” BiNet USA’s Blog (2013).
- @garybnorth. “Confirmed: SF Supervisors declared June 23, 1990 as “Bisexual Pride Day in San Francisco” in honor of 1st nat’l bi confab.” Twitter (2012).
- Highleyman, Liz. “SF to USA: Come on bi!” Bay Area Reporter 26.35 (1996): 1.
- McPherson, Richard. “Conference Marks Bisexuals’ Stonewall.” Bay Area Reporter 20.27 (1990): 20.
Wendy Curry’s activism:
- BiNet USA. “BiNet USA President Wendy Curry Receives the 4th Annual Brenda Howard Memorial Award.” BiNet USA’s Blog (2009).
- De Leon, Celina. “Wendy Curry: BiNet USA.” Feministing (2007).
- Wiesenthal, Nicole. “Feature: BiNet USA Strives to Amplify Bisexual Voices.” South Florida Gay News (2015).
Have strong thoughts about this piece you need to share? Or maybe there’s something else on your mind you’re wanting to talk about with fellow Fandomentals? Head on over to our Community server to join in the conversation!